Highlands Chapter Outing: 10th Annual Buffalo River Classic
March 30, 2019
Buffalo River Classic at Ozark Campground near Pruitt AR, Buffalo National River
Ozark Society Highlands Chapter 10th Annual Buffalo River Classic (One-Day Event)
When: Saturday, 30 March 2019
Host: Ozark Society Highlands Chapter
Location: Ozark Campground Pavilion near Jasper AR, and other locations along the Buffalo National River
Invitation to the 10th Annual Buffalo River Classic: The Highlands Chapter invites hikers, floaters, and lovers of the Buffalo River to celebrate its 10th Annual Buffalo River Classic on Saturday, March 30, 2019. There will be three simultaneous events at this one-day recreational outing: a “half-marathon” Buffalo River Trail hike, a Buffalo River canoe-kayak float, and two shorter hikes: 1) Mill Creek Loop Trail and Shaddox Cemetery, and 2) Koen Interpretive Trail. Participants in all three events will converge at the Ozark Campground Pavilion on the Buffalo River near Pruitt AR for a cookout/potluck at 4:00 p.m. Everyone is welcome to the cookout whether or not they participate in the hikes or the float. And, everyone is welcome to participate in this event whether an Ozark Society member or not.
Highlands Chapter Carpool to Ozark Campground:
There will be a carpool from Root School in Fayetteville for NW Arkansas participants who wish to arrive at Ozark Campground by 10:45 a.m. Meet at Root School on 1529 E Mission Blvd in Fayetteville for carpooling for an 8:30 a.m. departure; or, meet at 9:15 a.m. for a quick-stop at the gas station/store in Marble AR. All other participants should arrange their own transportation to the Ozark Campground.
For those not carpooling to Ozark Campground, directions are below:
Directions to Ozark Campground from the South: From Jasper AR, follow AR Hwy 7 north 4 miles until you see a NPS brown sign with “Ozark” on it. Turn left (west) and follow the gravel road for 1.5 miles to the Ozark Campground.
Directions to Ozark Campground from the North: From Harrison AR, follow AR Hwy 7 south 15 miles (or, 1.7 mi past the BR Bridge at Pruitt) until you see a NPS brown sign with “Ozark” on it. Turn right (west) and follow the gravel road for 1.5 miles to the Ozark Campground.
Camping and Overnighting:
Although this is a one-day Saturday event, participants driving from a distance may want to overnight in the Jasper AR/Buffalo River area. The Ozark Campground has a number of campsites. See the National Park Service website at: http://www.recreation.gov/ for facilities at the Ozark Pavilion Campground and other sites in the Buffalo National River Park. There are also a number of commercial campsites, cabins, and motels in the nearby Jasper AR (6 mi south), Harrison AR (16 mi north), or Ponca AR (20 mi west) areas.
10th Annual Buffalo River Classic: Three simultaneous events followed by a cookout:
1) Half-Marathon Buffalo River Trail Hike (Terry Fredrick, coordinator): Terry will lead hikers on the famous Buffalo River Trail starting at Ozark Campground at 8:30 a.m., hiking to Erbie, and then returning once again to the campground. Bring all your hiking supplies, water and lunch. Plan to finish the half-marathon (5-6 hours) at Ozark Campground by mid to late afternoon for the cookout. Contac information for Terry Fredrick, the half-marathon coordinator, is: 479-422-7776 or email@example.com (telephone is preferred)
a) No pre-registration required. Register with Chris Kline if you plan to attend the cookout.
See details below.
b) Notice: Do not attempt this hike if you have never done long distance hiking before. Be prepared, i.e., carry at least 2 liters of water, lunch for on the trail, rain-gear, etc. You will be asked to sign a “liability release” before the hike. Please see details below.
2) Buffalo River Float with Canoe or Kayak (JB Clark, coordinator): This year’s float will be from Pruitt to Hasty. Paddlers will meet at the Pruitt put-in at 9:30 a.m. We will leave boats and non-drivers there and take cars to Hasty, and then return to Pruitt to begin the float. Contact information for JB Clark, the float coordinator, is: firstname.lastname@example.org or 479-422-0869 (M). It’s important to check for updates from JB as water levels may dictate changes in the float route.
a) Pre-registration: To pre-register for this float, send an email to JB Clark at email@example.com by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 27. Include your name, the number in your party, email and telephone number. Also, tell JB whether you will canoe or kayak, and whether your vehicle can help with the shuttle to the take-out. JB’s cell phone is 479- 422-0869. Register with Chris Kline if you plan to attend the cookout. See details below.
b) On the river: Bring water, lunch, rain gear, and all float gear. The water will be cold, so dress for a spill. All floaters will be expected to follow the rules of the river: (i) No glass on the river; (ii) A life jacket for each person in your boat; (iii) Life jacket must be worn (it cannot be tied to the boat) and children under 12 are required by law to wear them; (iv) Coolers and ice chests must be secured in the boat and the lid must be secure, and no styrofoam coolers; (v) Drinks must be secured in a floatable device such as a “koozie;” and, (vi) Each boat must have a mesh trash bag secured to the boat. You will be asked to sign a “liability release” before the float. Please see details below.
3) Luke Parsch, coordinator: 2 Day Hikes (2.5 hours total), Date: Saturday, March 30, 2019
• Mill Creek Loop Trail and Shaddox Cemetery, 2.2 mi, easy, 1.5 hours (short 2.5 mile drive to trailhead from Ozark Campground).
• Koen Interpretive Trail, 0.4 mi, easy, 1 hour, (short 2.5 mile drive from first hike).
Hike Leader: Luke Parsch (contact hike leader for more information)
Telephone and Email: 479-442-3817 H; 479-935-0859 M (on day of hike); or, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting Place and Time: Meet at the Ozark Campground pavilion in the Buffalo National River Park 5.6 miles north of Jasper AR for carpooling for an 11:00 a.m. departure; or, meet at 11:20 a.m. at the Mill Creek Trailhead.
a) No pre-registration required. Register with Chris Kline if you plan to attend the
cookout. See details below.
b) Logistics: Bring water, lunch, rain gear, and wear hiking boots. No pets are
allowed on any hikes, and children under 12 years are discouraged and must be
accompanied by a guardian. You will be asked to sign a “liability release” before
the hike. Please see details below.
4) Buffalo River Pot-Luck Cookout (Chris Kline, coordinator): The cookout will include grilled burgers, veggie burgers, potluck dishes, and socializing at the end of an active day spent with other nice people who enjoy the beautiful Buffalo River. Everyone is welcome to the cookout whether or not you participate in the half-marathon, the float, or the day-hike. A five-dollar ($5) donation is requested of all persons at the cookout. Everyone is requested to bring a side-dish (snacks, dessert, salad, covered dish) and to provide your own beverages. To reduce the trash, please bring your own non-disposable plates, cups, and flatware; we’ll have napkins. Start time is approximately 4:00 p.m. at Ozark Campground Pavilion. Contact information for Chris Kline, the cookout coordinator, is 479-409-0394 or email@example.com
a) Pre-registration: Whether are not you are hiking or floating or just enjoying the cookout, please pre-register for the cookout through Chris Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 21. Include your name, number in your party, email and telephone number. Please indicate if you prefer a vegetarian option.
b) Logistics: All participants will converge at the Ozark Campground Pavilion mid-afternoon for socializing and the pot-luck. There are toilets, picnic tables, electric lights and two electric plug-ins at the pavilion. Bring lawn chairs.
Disclaimer: All participants in the hikes and the float are required to sign a “liability release”
http://www.ozarksociety.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/OS-Sign-Up_Sheet_rev4.pdf at the trailhead or float launch site. No pets are allowed on any outings, and minors must be accompanied by guardians. Everyone is welcome to participate in this Ozark Society 9th Annual Buffalo River Classic outing whether an Ozark Society member or not.
Contact Details for Additional Information:
Luke Parsch, (day-hike coordinator): 479-442-3817 or email@example.com
Terry Fredrick (half-marathon coordinator): 479-422-7776 or firstname.lastname@example.org
JB Clark (float coordinator): 479-422-0869 M or email@example.com
Chris Kline (cookout coordinator): 479-409-0394 or firstname.lastname@example.org