The Ozark Society is pleased to offer the Sassafras Hiking Award to anyone who hikes the entire lengths of the following trails:
- The Ouachita Trail (Talimena State Park to Pinnacle Mountain State Park)
- The Ozark Highlands Trail (Lake Fort Smith State Park to Woolum and Spring Creek to Matney Knob)
- The Buffalo River Trail (Boxley to Pruitt and Woolum to Dillard’s Ferry)
- The Ozark Trail (Western Trailhead of Eleven Point Section to Onondaga Trailhead)
Completion of all trails are accomplished as through hikes or section hikes; and the hikes can be conducted on different trails at different times, and in any direction. Previously completed hikes qualify for the award.
Once hikers complete all four trails, they may contact the Ozark Society HERE to complete the registry form and submit $10 to cover the cost of shipping the award. The Sassafras Hiking Award is an original design created by Little Rock ceramic artist Katherine Purcell. Each individual award has its own distinctive sequential number. The Ozark Society will maintain a numerical registry of all Sassafras Hiking Award recipients on its website.
Sassafras Hiking Award recipients are not required to be Ozark Society members, but Ozark Society membership is appreciated. By accepting this award, all registrants agree, if asked, to be interviewed about their adventures hiking the four trails. Interviews may be included in Ozark Society publications, or on the Ozark Society website.Please direct questions concerning the Sassafras Hiking Award to the Hiking Award Administrator.
Name, City, State, and Date:
1. Wade Clark Colwell, Fayetteville, AR – January 30, 2023
2. Christina Bethalee, Clinton, AR- February6, 2023